Give me magic, gadgets, monsters, zombies, everything that seems impossible, and throw in some tough chicks with swords. That's the stuff.

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Review: Geekomancy


Geekomancy by Michael R. Underwood

I had a lot of fun with this one. So much that I pretty much inhaled the story.

There were geek references aplenty - I'd gotten Firefly, ThinkGeek & Buffy's "Once More With Feeling" to name a few by the time I reached the 20% mark. Ree is snarky but lovable. This story involves magic users who gain power from genre movies, games, comics, books & toys. There is a string of teen suicides, an underground magical community, and lots of action.

Geekomancy is quirky. Sometimes it's a fine line between quirky and whackadoo, but I don't think this tale ever got absurd. The magic system made a lot of sense. There was learning, limits and consequences. Different people have different strengths. It's not all geek power, either.

No romance here, although there are some connections that can be built upon.

I can't say I was surprised by the reveals, but that wasn't a problem for me. There were a couple of things that seemed too glossed over - things I can't specify without humongous spoilers, but I had such a good time reading it that they didn't bother me. Of course, the next book will have to address this, but it looks like the author is headed that way in the end.

I'll be looking for the next book.

I know that prices can change fast, and I don't know if this price will last, but Geekomancy is $1.99 right now (eBook only). Pocket After DarkAmazon | B&N

No comments:

Post a Comment